Our successful client is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to be responsible for the engineering, design and documentation of their family of products under minimal supervision. In this role you will be accountable for component selection, testing, model and drawing creation and Bill of Material (BOM) maintenance.
A main focus of this role will be serving as the Project Lead/Manager of New Product Development (NPD) projects to ensure the technical integrity, compliance to project scope, engineering design specification, budget and scheduling plans as well as customer specific project requirements are met and controlled.
Additionally, you will be responsible for reviewing and meeting all regulatory agency listings such as ETL, CSA, CE, etc. for our client's product family while also ensuring that the delivered products comply with national, regional, and local codes when applicable.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Support and lead company approved projects as required in the design and delivery of new and existing products to meet requirements of customer inquiries and orders.
- Procure prototype parts, create implementation plan and perform validation testing.
- Produce CAD design models, and drawings of parts and assemblies using AutoDesk Inventor. Scope may be conceptual, trade off, or final design.
- Calculate part tolerances, virtual conditions and tolerance stack-up analysis to ensure fit, function and economical manufacture.
- Produce and check drawings for design intent, completeness, correctness and compliance with drafting standards. Drawing types could include detail, isometric, exploded views, assembly, sub assembly, etc.
- Ensure that design details are cost effective and conform to customer requirements and company standards
- Stay current on drafting and ANSI standards and CAD design technology.
- Work with vendors to identify optimal solutions on technical matters, cost reductions and potential alternatives.
- Check engineering drawings / shop details for conformance to standards and practices.
- Prepare and manage engineering Bills of Materials (BOMs) within the company ERP system.
- Assist with the Engineering Change Process (ECR/ECO) by providing investigation and follow-through when necessary.
- Assist with maintaining all design guidelines, design standards, and fabrication standards for compliance with engineering principles and company standards.
- Oversee the technical activities of New Product Development (NPD) projects and take responsibility for accuracy, completeness and conformity along with cost and schedule to assure alignment with all internal departments.
- Track, document, and update the project schedule and lists of required deliverables (as required per projects) in a manner consistent with company standards.
- Provide status and progress reports of project milestones to internal customers, project team, and management when necessary.
- Maintain all regulatory compliance agency certification listings of our current products such as ETL, CSA, CE, etc. and obtain certification listing for any future products that may require listing.
- Review listing agency specifications periodically to stay abreast of changes that may impact our product listings and provide a course of action to resolve any potential issues.
- Coordinate with front end groups (Sales and Marketing) to assure agreement and understanding on all technical details of the products are known and assist on issues related to product enhancements, reliability & cost reduction (Value Analysis / Value Engineering)
- Provide technical assistance for product literature, decals, technical manuals, etc.
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals. Able to read and interpret documents such as BOMs, engineering drawings, specifications, etc.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly in MS Office and within the company's ERP system. Knowledge of EPICOR 10.1 (or earlier) is a plus.
- The ability to effectively manage time and handle multiple conflicting tasks and possess the skills to multi-task in a busy and changing environment.
- Excellent organizational skills a must with focus on writing, presentation, and documentation.
- Knowledge of fabrication methods in a manufacturing environment is a plus.
- Must be able and willing to learn and apply the latest technology in new product development and improvements of current products.
- Must be a "hands on" engineer who is comfortable spending a considerable amount of their time on the manufacturing floor
- Experience with domestic and foreign design codes and standards such as ASME, ANSI, NFPA, CE and other relevant codes.
- Comply with OSHA, EPA and other regulations applicable to job activities.
- Professional demeanor required with commitments to personal safety, ethical and legal standards.
- 5-10 years' experience working in an Engineering/Manufacturing environment as a Product Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent.
- BSME is required. MSME is a plus
- Experience with CAD principles preferred. Knowledge of Autodesk Inventor or AutoCAD is a plus.
- Experience with injection molding a plus
Project Management, Product Design & Development, Regulatory Agency Compliance, Process Management, Quality & Safety Focus